Employer: Flourish Australia
headspace is an exciting initiative funded by the Primary Health Network designed to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for young people (12 – 25 years). Using an early intervention approach, headspace utilises a “wrap-around” service model specifically to meet the needs of young people at risk of developing mental illness, substance use disorders or other issues.
headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill is made possible through the collaboration and contribution of a range of local service providers, led by Flourish Australia forming the headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill Consortium. The Consortium provides expertise, support and advice to support the strategic operation of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill.
The Independent Chairperson will provide leadership to the Consortium, ensuring members work effectively together to best achieve the mission of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill.
Mission and Objectives
The mission of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill is to improve young people’s mental, social and emotional wellbeing through the provision of high quality, integrated services when and where they are needed.
headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill does this by:
- offering a range of integrated comprehensive services across four core platforms: primary health, mental health, drug & alcohol services and educational/vocational support
- assisting young people to reconnect to their family / carer / friends and community
- undertaking health promotion activities that increase community awareness of the headspace Centres and an understanding of mental health with the aim of encouraging help seeking behaviour in young people
- engaging in community development initiatives that challenge the stigma of mental illness, encourage social inclusion and promote the well-being of young people
- supporting the development of a more youth-friendly and mental health proficient workforce
- undertaking advocacy to address issues affecting young people and effect service sector reform
- underpinning our work with a commitment to youth participation – supporting young people to actively contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of programs which affect their well-being
Location: headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill
Employment Status: This is a voluntary position, supported by Flourish Australia as lead agency of the headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill consortium.
Commitment: The Consortium meets bimonthly on a Wednesday for 2 hours from 10.30am to 12pm. There may be occasions where this is more frequent. Reading of information and consultation around agenda and minutes will be required between meetings.
Tenure: 2 years
Organisational Relationships and Support:
This position is accountable to the Chief Executive of Flourish Australia, Lead Agency for headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill.
The duties and responsibilities of the Chairperson include:
- presiding at meetings of the Consortium and ensuring that business is conducted efficiently and that meetings are conducted properly including formation of sub-committee structure when required
- supporting members of the Consortium to understand and discharge their roles, responsibilities and accountabilities and to build skills and capabilities necessary for the Consortium to fulfil its obligations
- encouraging and enabling participation by all members of the Consortium including ensuring Consortium workload is shared between all members
- ensuring meetings focus on the strategic and advisory role as defined in the Terms of Reference
- ensuring that there is an effective process for identifying and managing conflicts of interest
- ensuring that members operate in an ethically, environmentally and socially responsible fashion
- Represent headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill as required
Skills (Selection Criteria):
- Demonstrable leadership experience
- Experience as a Chairperson in a range of different roles
- Sound knowledge of governance requirements and processes
- A collaborative style of decision making
- Effective communications skills
- Knowledge of community-based organisations
- Demonstrated interest in the health and wellbeing of young people
- Independence – not currently employed by Flourish Australia.
For more information contact:
Name: Aniela Gokiert - Clinical & Operations Manager
Phone: 0427 942 576